Friday 25 February 2011

Gorgeous Gnocchi

Well, here's the thing. I love to bake, I'm a baker and basically this means a lot of the sweet things in Aunt Anne's cookbooks appeal to my nature.

Today I got through an epic page of French to get to the bottom of Gnocchi a la Romaine and I thought that it would be a good foray into the savoury world. The recipe calls for semolina and although I cannot profess to being a regular gnocchi maker (actually never from scratch) I thought there would be more potato or flour to the whole thing.
So the recipe is as follows and I promise I followed it to the letter until the bit when you shaped it - here I rolled it into sausages and chopped it into little gnocchi sized pieces and pressed a fork into each one to make it look like it does in a packet!

Gnocchi a la Romaine

100g Semolina
1/2 ltr milk
Salt and Pepper
100g grated gruyere cheese

Add the semolina to the milk and boil. Salt and Pepper (well!)
Working with a wooden spoon, stir until the mixture turns stiff and remove from the heat and stir in the grated cheese mix well.
On a (well) floured surface, flatten the dough until no more than 1cm thick. Leave to cool.
Once cooled, divide into small peices and place in a buttered baking dish.
Sprinkle the arranged gnocchi with a little more grated cheese.
Bake until browned.

About 1/2 hour later it came out looking completely gorgeous. Taste? Well, the gnocchi had gone back to being light little fluffy balls of cheesy deliciousness and the sprinkled cheese had gone crispy on the top. It was fabulous.

My advice would be - make this! It takes no time at all to do and served with a crisp salad and you have yourself a dish to impress anyone. Yum... just one more forkful?..

x

2 comments:

  1. I miss you so much hun!!!! I LOVE these posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. These gnocchi really look tasty. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete